Different Gambling Choices
Gambling in the US has been regulated since 1907; it is prohibited outside the limits imposed by the country. It is especially since 1976 that the US were increasingly attracted by the games, their spending reached 7.8 billion dollars in 2003 or 130 dollars per capita.
The offer of the Games has become considerably diversified, stimulating more and more expenses. In 1976, spending was mainly on horse racing and greyhounds.
But since then, new, more attractive, more dynamic forms of gaming had come to the fore, as in 1988, when the growth of slot machines increased casino spending. A little later, Instant Games created great success and a new dynamic for scratch and draw games. These games have now largely replaced lotteries and are even more successful than loto since 1993. These have been so successful from the very beginning thanks to the games: the Green Carpet, The Millionaire, The Tacotac, the Keno and finally the Rapido.
There are different types of gambling, the most important of which are:
- Scratch cards are games of chance that consist of scratching a ticket to discover symbols or winning numbers corresponding to sums of money.
- Draw games are also games of pure chance where the player bets on a combination of numbers, the aim being to find all or part of the numbers drawn at random. Draw games are the monopoly of French games (FDJ).
- Slot machines are games of pure chance. They were originally composed of rotating mechanical rollers on which symbols were drawn. Today they are largely replaced by video machines where the symbols scroll on a screen. The player inserts a token and then activates the game by pushing a lever or a button. The goal of the game is to obtain a set of identical symbols or a winning combination of symbols.
- Horse bets are bets on the outcome of a horse race. They assume a part of chance and may require some knowledge in the equestrian field, even if it is quite possible to play when one is new.
- Sports betting is the betting of money on the outcome of a sports match or on the events that mark it (number of goals, score at a given moment, mistakes, etc.). They assume some chance and may require some knowledge in the sports field, even if it is quite possible to play as a novice.
- Poker is a game whose goal is to win the opponents ‘ chips by making the best combination of 5 cards or by making the other players give up, notably by bluffing. The game combines chance, strategy (to compose a good hand) and psychology (to decrypt the opponents ‘ game, to bluff).
- Roulette is a game of chance that consists in betting money on a number, a set of numbers, or a color, materialized on a game table. A ball is thrown on a rotating roulette wheel with 36 boxes.
- Blackjack is a casino game. The game is between all the players and the bank. The goal is to beat the dealer without exceeding 21. As soon as a player does more than 21, they say they “jump” or ” die” and they lose their initial bet.